We commit to minimizing the use of natural resources and hazardous materials in the development and manufacture of our products.
Kongsberg Automotive is committed to minimizing the impact of our activities on the environment, as described in our Environment Policy. Considering the size and scope of our operations, we appreciate our responsibility to do our part in preserving the communities we call home by serving as active stewards of the environment. We seek to conserve whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.
In fact, Kongsberg Automotive employees are empowered to reshape aspects of our operations to reduce the consumption of electricity, fuel, water and other resources. In doing so, our employees are implementing ideas to reduce operating costs and create alignment between our financial goals and reducing our environmental impact. This enables Kongsberg Automotive to be more competitive in an increasingly challenging business environment.
Energy & CO2 reduction efforts
Energy consumption data for electricity and burning of fossil fuels needed for production activities is collected. All manufacturing units collected energy consumption data for electricity and the burning of fossil fuels used for production. Their target for 2017 was to decrease yearly energy consumption by 1.0% relative to total product sales; which is “Energy Intensity”. The Group reports positive performance in 2017. The Energy Intensity decreased by 3% or to 127 kilowatt-hours used in production for every euro of total product sales in 2017 from 131 kilowatt-hours used in production for every euro of total product sales in 2016.
The absolute energy use increased this year by 1% from approximately 139 million kilowatt-hours to 141 million kilowatt-hours; this resulted in more CO2 emissions for 2017. Using UN Greenhouse Gas Calculators, the Group calculates its 2017 CO2 emissions at approximately 43,546 metric tons resulting in a 5% increase from last year’s 41,360 metric tons. The CO2 Emissions Intensity remained 39 metric tons of CO2/1M€ of total product sales in 2017 and 2016.
Waste reduction efforts
Pollution control is important to KA and the communities in which we operate. KA’s aim
is to minimize the amount of waste sent to landfills and the toxicity of waste requiring special treatment or disposal.
In 2017, the Group’s aim was to reduce by 1% the yearly amount of waste sent to landfills and the toxicity of waste requiring special treatment or disposal as compared to annual sales;
this is the “Waste Index”. All units sought opportunities to reuse and recycle. Notably,
9 manufacturing locations were landfill-free in 2017 and the amount of recycled waste materials increased by 32%. As a result, the Group decreased its absolute waste by 7% to 1.28 million kilograms in 2017 from 1.37 million kilograms in 2016. Kongsberg Automotive’s Waste Index,
was reduced by 10% from 1.29 kg/1000€ in 2016 to 1.16 kilogram/1000€.
- CERT-ISO_14001-BAGB 2015 TO 2018.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-BUGB.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-EPSP.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-GMCA.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-GRUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-HEDE.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-HVNO.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-LJSE.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-LSCN.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-MIUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-MUSE.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-NLMX.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-NOGB.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-RONO.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-SIHU.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-SUUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-CLFR.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-EAUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-GUIN.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-JUBR.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-MAMX.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-PRPL.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-PUIN.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-RANO.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-REMX.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-SWUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-VRSK.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-WIUS.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-WUCN.pdf PDF Document
- CERT-ISO_14001-YAKR.pdf PDF Document
Phil Walker, HSE Director, Group
Phone: +44 1268 535 753